Our History

1970s - 80s

Commencement of Cement Operations

YTL Cement Berhad began its footing in the 1970s, when cement was scarce in the market, to support its construction works and mitigate risks of supply and price in the market. From what was then a single operation of one batching plant and 6 trucks, the group began charting its growth in the coming years.


Official Launch of Pahang Cement Plant

Pahang Cement Sdn Bhd officially commenced its operations in Bukit Sagu, Pahang. Undertaken as a joint venture between YTL Cement and the Pahang State Government, this state-of-the-art cement plant was (and remaining to-date July 2019), the only integrated cement plant in the eastern corridor of Peninsular Malaysia. In 2004, YTL Cement acquired the remaining 50% stake of Pahang Cement Sdn Bhd. This plant was to be further upgraded 20 years-on, equipped with the latest technological advancement to meet the latest environmental standards and European standards on lower nitrogen oxide emissions and energy efficiency.


Acquisition of Perak Hanjoong Simen Sdn Bhd

In the west coast, YTL Cement acquired 64.8% of Perak Hanjoong Simen Sdn Bhd – Malaysia’s then second largest integrated cement producer. The remaining 35.2% share was acquired in 2010.


Commencement of Operations in Singapore & China

YTL Cement initiated its operations in Singapore with its first batching plant in Sentosa Island and secured a massive project, supplying 1.2 million m3 concrete to one of the biggest, iconic development in Singapore.

In the same year, YTL Cement acquired 100% stake in Zhejiang Hangzhou Dama Cement Co Ltd in China, one of the largest cement suppliers in the Hangzhou region.


Largest Cement Terminal in Singapore

Operations in Singapore expanded with the inauguration of YTL Cement’s new cement terminal, located in Singapore’s Jurong Port Industrial Hub. To-date, the terminal is the largest in Singapore, with the capacity to handle a wide range of cementitious products along with a full-scale blending plant.

2015 - 2019

Building Nations Together

In 2015, YTL Cement announced its plan to build a cement plant in Thilawa Industrial Zone, Myanmar. The cement plant, which was to be built with the latest technology to minimise any environmental disruptions, would create jobs in the area and support the local construction growth.

End of 2018, YTL Cement became the strategic partner of FiCO Tay Ninh Cement JSC (TAFiCO), with a commitment to contribute towards the development of the Vietnam’s construction landscape. The new corporate JV “Fico-YTL” was officially launched in last March, 2019. Fico-YTL is Southern Vietnam’s leading cement producer with integrated plant in Tây Ninh and grinding stations in Bình Phước, Bình Dương, Ho Chi Minh City.

In 2019, YTL Cement acquired 75% stake in Lafarge Malaysia, bridging a strong network of technical expertise and research & development efforts to further fuel construction advancement in Malaysia.