On 24th October 2013, YTL Cement held its Annual Seminar at Ritz-Carlton Hotel in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Ir. Soo Thong Phor, YTL Cement's General Manager of Technical and Product Development, together with Ir. Dr. Tam Chat Tim, YTL Cement's Technical Advisor, gave a presentation entitled "High Strength and Temperature Limits - a Balancing Act in Tropical Climates" .
The seminar saw a large turnout with over 220 participants consisting of Engineers, Consultants, Contractors, Developers, Readymix Concrete Suppliers, Precasters, Industrial Users as well as Officers from various government agencies of Malaysia's Central Region.
The presentation covered:
- The increasing use of high strength concrete in modern construction. High strength concrete requires a larger content of cementitious material, but this results in the generation of significant heat and results in a sharp temperature rise.
- For thick sections, the heat of hydration at high cement content poses severe challenges to meeting peak temperature limits (70 to 75ºC) and limiting the temperature differential to minimize the potential of early thermal cracking.
- The use of SLAGCEM or MASCEM can strike a balance between achieving high strength and meeting temperature limits due to lower heat of hydration and better workability.
SLAGCEM is the brand name for Portland Blastfurnace Slag Cement produced by blending Ground Granulated Blastfurnace Slag (GGBS) with Ordinary Portland cement (OPC), while MASCEM is the brand name for Portland fly-ash cement produced by blending fly-ash (PFA) with OPC. Both of these products are manufactured by YTL Cement.
In appreciation of all its customers' support, YTL Cement organised an entertaining but challenging quiz for all attendees, which involved a lucky draw with attractive prizes such as Dining Vouchers at Feast Village at Starhill Gallery, YES 4G mobile internet devices, and the Grand Prize of a 3 days 2 nights all-in stay at the acclaimed 5-Star Cameron Highlands Resort. The Grand Prize was won by Mr. Lim Lu Pin of Setia Precast Sdn Bhd- an esteemed YTL Cement customer.
Other Prizes won by:
- Ir. Isaac Chua Shyi Shen from Meinhardt (Malaysia) S/B
- Ir. Heong Siew Jun from RJP S/B
- Mr. Ricky Ting Hock Yew from BSEN Test S/B
- Ir. Lionel Tessenshon from G&P Structures S/B
- Ir. Lo Haw Ru from Aecom Perunding S/B
- Mr. Suresh Kanna from JTK Consult S/B
- Ir. Ng Kee Pian from Sepakat Setia Perunding S/B
- Mr. Tay Bee Chuan from WR Grace (M) S/B
- Ir. Lee Ai Sun from T.Y. Lin International S/B
- Mr. Mah Kar Weng from Ministry of Works